Friday, April 06, 2007

*Dude!* Yesterday, like, totally rocked!

So, it's Good Friday, which means it's time for the annual Good Friday Royal Children's Hospital Appeal. For those of you not from Victoria, every year on Good Friday, the whole state of Victoria bands together to raise money for the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne. It's an awesome day, and it's always amazing to see how much money can be raised. Last year, the money raised hit $10 MILLION! Yep, ten million dollars. Each Good Friday Appeal takes over Channel 7 from 9 a.m. to midnight, and we get to see check presentations, details on events taking place to raise money, auctions, etc. Also throughout the day, the check in at the hospital, and talk to doctors, nurses, patients and their parents. It's just awesome. Every hour there's an update on the total raised so far, and the 11 a.m. total has just been announced ... The 11 a.m. total is $626, 097.00
Anyway! I actually came on to blog about my day yesterday: Best. Day ... In a long time!! Got my form from Centrelink ... ALL I had to do was sign it. Just sign it. Only had to sign it. That's it! *lol* That actually annoyed me, because had this been done three weeks ago by Centrelink, I could have had the form signed three weeks ago and handed it back in. Anyway, took the form into the office, and there were *only* six people in line in front of me. Now, six people is nothing at Centrelink Bendigo! Usually, you get a line of about 9 or 10, and you're waiting for 30 - 40 minutes, but yesterday I only had 6 people in front of me, and I didn't even wait a full 20 minutes! *lol* Did get slightly annoyed when the Centrelink employee looked at the form and went "Yep. Okay. That's fine. Bye." I'm just standing there going ... "Um ... Ok." All that hassle for 20 seconds?!
So then I went to the library. I've had $40+ worth of fines on my library card for the last 2 and a half years, but I've never gotten around to paying the fines. When I was working, it didn't matter so much - I'd just buy whatever book I wanted. Of course, now I'm poor and unempployed I can't do that! So I had $20 in my wallet, and went to the counter to ask if I could pay some off my fines, and pay the rest off when I got the remainder of the money. The lady at the counter told me that it was in fact Amnesty (?spelling?) Month, and proceeded to *WIPE* all my fines! So I no longer owe the library a single cent! (Am feeling slightly guilty about it though, but I'm working on a plan to get them their money - maybe by donating a couple of books?) So I had a wander around the library, found about 10 or 11 books I wanted to borrow, and then had to figure out how to get the books home. Then I spotted the red library bags (Like the green shopping bags) and asked if they were for sale, to be told that they had ordered way to many, so they were giving them away! DUDE! Was it my lucky day or what?!!
So then, I'm walking home, and I come across a craft/embroidery store less than a block from my house! I had thought I would have to go all the way out to Spotlight on the bus to get some more thread for my blanket and some more aida cloth, but now I know I can get the stuff easily! So I stopped in and got some black thread, and some beautiful hand-dyed multi-coloured thread - one rainbow one, and one all different shades of pink. Also picked up some more yellow, blue and white thread.
As it turns out, my good day hadn't quite finished. I got home to get a phonecall from Ang, asking me if I'd like to be Ryan's godmother! While they're not religious, and don't attend chruch, they have decided to have a naming day for Ryan, and have decided to do the whole Godmother/Godfather thing. So of course, I'm honoured, and incredibly touched. The Godfather has not yet been decided, apparently that's up to Vince (Ang's boyfriend) and he's not yet been bothered with the hassle of making a decision :-P
Annnyway ... This has turned into a bit of a long-winded entry. I'm at my mum and dad's for a few days - think I might go home on Sunday afternoon. Got home last night on the train.
Ok, time to toddle off and do something ... I'm *trying* to get the blanket finished, trying, trying, trying ...!

No comments: