Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Uhh ... What happened to 2007?

Does anyone know what the hell happened to 2007?

I mean, seriously.

Lets look at 2007. I feel like it was a wasted year, which makes me feel like a loser.

Jan: Find out brother physically & verbally abusing son and girlfriend. Confront brother who then tries to kill self.

Feb: Decide (after failing exams due to whole family thing going on) that perhaps taking some time off uni might be a good idea. Maybe I just need to step back, take a break, find some motivation, and then return to uni after everything has settled down.

March: Lose job due to breakdown. End up at mum and dad's, 4 days later, telling my mum what's really been going on. Finally come clean to friends as well.

April/May/June/July: Spend months (literally) trying to get a job. Get rejection after rejection, but eventually I just don't care anymore. Unemployment = totally boring. On the upside - my house has never been cleaner.

August: Finally get a job. Bumpy start for the business, but hell - we're sticking it out.

September: Starting to wonder if business is going to last ... So far cops have been called on a few occasions, we've had people causing damage, things going missing, stress levels rising, and my boss is turning into a slight split-personality. I never know who I'm going to be dealing with when I get to work.

October: Arrest warrant issued. I don't think we need to say any more about that.

November: Baby Smurf born. Without a doubt, the high point of my year, even though that wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

December: 4 months in, and I'm looking for a new job. Almost as unhappy as I was at Safeway after 2 years there. Friend slits his throat. See proof with my own eyes - Christmas night - that arsehole brother hasn't changed.

So really, it wasn't a terrific year.

Here we are, at the end of it, and let's review:
- Haven't spoken to the arsehole brother in 11 months.
- Haven't been at uni for 10 months ... And have no idea when I'll go back.
- Didn't manage to accomplish anything of note during 2007.
- Am currently looking for another job, but until something comes up, am working somewhere that's making me fairly miserable.
- Didn't manage to find Mr Right - or even anything close to.

Um ... Now I'm just depressing myself.

Ok. Good things from 2007:

1: Birth of Baby Smurf. I never imagined such a little person could cause such fuss when entering the world. It was the first time I've ever wanted to be with my sister when she was upset.
*I'm not heartless - she just drives me nuts, and she's always upset about something (she's a drama queen). But mostly it's the 'she drives me nuts' thing.

2: I feel like I have learnt something - at Safeway I stayed until I had a breakdown. I'm miserable right now at my new job - but at least I have learnt to look out for myself. I'm trying to find a new job. I'm not staying until I want to kill myself just to get out of it. If worst comes to worst, I will walk away before I've found a new job. I'd never let myself get that stressed out again.

3: My friends. I soon learnt who my real friends were. I'm so grateful for the friends I have, who have been there through everything.

Wow. I can only find 3 good things from the whole year? Maybe I need to keep thinking.

Anyway, it's getting late. I might keep thinking ... While I sleep.

Happy New Year. May 2008 be everything you're hoping for.

No comments: