Thursday, February 12, 2009

Say hello to a woman on the edge ...

So. Yeah. It's been a big few days.

On Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, as you might have guessed, my car was stolen from our driveway. We didn't hear a thing, and the dogs didn't bark. I went out the front door on Wednesday morning, ready to go to work, looked to the right where our driveway is ... And my car was gone. I rang work, slightly disbelieving to tell them that as I had no car, I couldn't get in. It took a while to sink in that my car was really gone. Someone had stolen it. So I spent the morning ringing the Police, the insurance company, the Police again, VicRoads, and the insurance company again. I kind of hoped that it had just been stolen by some kids, who'd run it out of petrol then dump it somewhere, safe and unharmed.

This morning I got a call at 8 a.m. from the Eaglehawk Police saying that it had been found, dumped about 10 minutes from here, and that "there was some significant damage to the front end of the car". So, Christine and I went out to have a look, and hell yes, there was some significant damage to the front end of the car. The Police think that whoever stole it has hit some kind of pole/signpost (like a stop/give way sign or a street sign), which has basically collapsed the car into the middle of itself. The passenger in the front seat has then slammed their head into the windscreen, and left some blood in the cracked glass (next time, might be an idea for them to steal a car with airbags, since they sure as hell can't drive. Dumbfucks. Yeah, there's still some anger about all this ...). My cd's and cd player were all still in the car, as were all the papers/service books in the glovebox. I guess since there was nothing of real value in the car, they decided to just dump it and run after they crashed it.

It looks as if the insurance company will probably write the car off, as the damage is pretty extensive, and it would probably cost more for them to repair it than it would for them to pay me the market value of the car and be done with it.

So today, I dealt with the Police, the insurance company, the tow truck driver, the smash repairs place, the insurance guys again, and then the Police again. I also went to the bank to see about getting a personal loan, to buy a new car. My car only cost me a couple of grand, because at the time all I needed was something to get me to work and home again, and I didn't want to take out a loan and get into debt. This time I'll be buying something a little more expensive, something a little newer (mine's a 1984 model), something with airconditioning (no more sweltering in 40 degree heat), and something with a loud alarm system.

To be honest, I can't believe how much this has upset me. It's just a car, right? But seeing it, all smashed up, knowing that I probably won't be driving it again, made me upset - because it was my first car, because the first time I drove myself to Melbourne, it was in that car, because I could get in my car and just relax, even on my most stressed day (what can I say, driving relaxes me) - and it made me pissed off. What does someone get out of that? What's the point in stealing a car that's not yours, driving it around, smashing it into a pole and then dumping it? What's the point? It's dangerous, and stupid, and now, I'm without my car, my Gibbsy, named after Gibbs from NCIS, because yes, he's old, but he's hot! Even if the insurance company does decide to repair him, I won't keep him. Quite frankly, knowing that someone broke into him, and stole him ... Just freaks me out. I can't even explain why. I know he'd look the same as before, they'd get out all the dings and paint him and replace his windscreen, but ... Like I said, I can't explain it. I'd have to sell him. I know it's irrational, and stupid, but that's what I'm feeling right now.

So, tonight, I will hopefully get some sleep, since the last couple of nights have been sleepless (I've borrowed a car from one of my bosses at work until all the insurance stuff gets sorted out, and now I'm beyond paranoid that they're going to come back and steal it - I jump every time I hear a car door during the night). I think that's part of the reason I was so emotional today (emotional, hell, I was a basket case. I spent the entire afternoon crying off and on, in huge, hysterical sobs, that I just couldn't control. My eyes are like tiny little slits at the moment, they're so swollen from crying). If I can just get a good nights sleep I'm sure I'll be fine. We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings ...

No comments: