Thursday, January 01, 2009

What a year!

So ... 2008.

What a year, eh?

2007, as I've written before, was a crappy year.

2008 was the year that things fell to pieces - and then fell back together perfectly.

"Maybe good things fall apart so better things can fall together..."

I could write a long, reflective blog entry on all that has happened in the last year ... But, quite frankly, I'm still paying for last night, and I've also had one or two drinks this arvo, so I don't quite have the attention span for a long entry. So instead, I'll just hit on the main points ...

Better things fell together this year.

I lost my job ... Then fell into a job that makes me happy. I love going to work now. I laugh, I joke around with the guys, and I work my arse off happily. I can't count the number of times that I've started smiling at work, just because I've had the thought that I'm so lucky - I love this place, this is my "work". I take work home, and I sit there smiling while I do it. I've been there close to seven months, and none of the gloss is wearing off. Rock on!

I moved from my nice, perfectly located, peaceful little unit when Christine purchased her first house. I knew that it would be fine, as we'd lived together before ... But I'd still lived alone for close to three years. I was used to total freedom, quiet when I wanted it and being the only one in control of the remote control. But again, better things fell together. Now? Now I've living in a kickarse house located three minutes from my work. We've got a huge kitchen and lounge room, and the best airconditioning ever. I haven't lost any of the freedom I got used to while living alone, and I can't believe I ever doubted that this would be anything but awesome. Again, this is only a couple of months old, but I don't see anything changing. We've settled in so well, it seems like we've always been here.

The family dramas went up and down for the first three-quarters of the year, which was rough. However, the last few months have seen a slight, teeny, tiny, slow-moving change occur. Things finally seem to be settling down. For the first time in a few years, we were all home for Christmas, and there were no fights. The day was peaceful, and content. We weren't the "perfect family" by any means ... But maybe we're on the way there.

"Maybe good things fall apart so better things can fall together ..."
Bring on 2009!

Happy New Year!

No comments: